If you’ve got tins of tuna in your cupboard, you’re never far away from being able to make a quick meal whether it’s a sandwich, jacket potato, pasta bake, or in this instance, a tuna and bean salad from Justine Pattison.
There are only 139 calories per serving in this meal (if serving four), so you can afford to give yourself a more generous helping if there’s just two of you. Try to add the balsamic vinegar just before you tuck in, to ensure the salad remains as fresh as possible.
Recipe: Tuna and Bean Salad
Calories: 139 per serving
Book: Justine Pattison: Without the Calories – Quick and Easy
Prep time: Approx 15 mins
Cooking time: n/a
- 2 x 120g cans tuna steak in water or brine (drained)
- 400g can cannellini beans (drained and rinsed)
- ½ small red onion (thinly sliced)
- 1 red pepper (deseeded and cut into roughly 2cm chunks)
- ¼ cucumber (cut into roughly 2cm dice)
- 12 pitted black or green olives, drained and halved
- 100g cherry tomatoes (halved)
- 15g flat-leaf parsley (leaves roughly chopped)
- 1-2 tbsp thick balsamic vinegar
- Ground black pepper
Cost per portion: Approx £1.24
Tip the tuna into a bowl and flake into chunky pieces with a fork. Scatter the beans into the same bowl and add the onion, pepper, cucumber, olives (if using), cherry tomatoes and parsley.
Toss all the ingredients lightly, divide between four plates or transfer to small, lidded containers and keep chilled until ready to eat. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and season with freshly ground black pepper.